The first site of Rev. Morton's operations when he came to Trinidad was at Iere Village, two miles from Mission Village, in a region called Sabana Grande. Dr. Morton began operations there because modest facilities were donated to him by the Presbyterian Church of New England, who were withdrawing from a mission to the blacks in the area.
In January 1890, Rev. Morton and his wife Sarah opened the Iere Girls Training School, patterned somewhat after the Halifax Ladies School. This picture may have been taken in 1904, when the school was renamed the Iere Home for Girls, and placed in the care of the redoubtable Miss Adella Archibald (middle of the first row). She had arrived from Canada in 1889 to begin some 30 years of mission service. The Archibald Institute in Tunapuna, founded in 1931, is named for her.
The Iere Home for Girls became a "feeder institution" for NGHS after the latter was opened in 1912. In 1917, the older girls at Iere were relocated to NGHS.
(photo and info contributed)
Mission Village was named thus after an early Roman Catholic mission there to the Arawaks. After the visit of two British princes in 1880, Mission Village was renamed Princes Town.
On Miss Archibald's right is Miss Adolphus, also called Mrs Doon, who later became the matron of Naparima Girls' High School for many years, as pictured here in 1924.
To Miss Archibald's left are Clara Laltoo and Ethel Maude. The girl fourth from the left in the last row became Mrs. Kalloo, of Cedros.