With Rev. Walls' arrival in 1923 to head up an already capable and qualified group of teachers, a new period of development and identity for the school began.
~ The College Motto: "a posse ad esse" -
The motto was selected from a contest among the staff and students launched in 1923. The classics master at the time was J. Hamilton Maurice, and is likely the originator of the motto.
Despite the incorrect translation "the posse went that-a-way" often promulgated by some students, the motto was understood and aspired to by every student who wended the way up "the hill".
From its conception by its founders to the present day, the spirit of Naparima has always been embodied by the bright, optimistic, positive, dynamic attitude expressed by this motto; and many outstanding individuals throughout the generations have been inspired by it, risen to its implicit ideal, and passed on the energy of its expression.
~ School Colours and BadgeMr Ralph Laltoo (1998): School Crest video
Mr Ralph Laltoo (1998): The Naparima Vision video
Dr James Lee Wah (2002): The Naparima Identity video
The school colours of Oxford blue and white must have been introduced, and the badge must have been designed amongst the staff, around the same time, as we find Naparima's famous crest in use in 1932 on the name-plates of books, such as those given out for school prizes. This suggests that the badge had already been in use for some time before that date.
About 1945, Mr Laltoo modified the design slightly for the Old Boys Association, and for the first issue of the Olympian.
The wearing of badges was introduced in 1958. Before this, in
1956, the school uniform of white shirts and silver-grey khaki
trousers had been established as inexpensive but serviceable
school-wear. The white and blue school tie was also formally
adopted in 1958, with a "tie-day" on Tuesdays. However, this
particular design had already been popular for special occasions since at least ten years earlier.
Mrs. Walls wrote the college hymn